Louisiana Department of Civil Service
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Revenue Tax Specialist 1 or 2
at Louisiana Department of Civil Service
- Supplemental Information
The Louisiana Department of Revenue has several vacancies located within the Taxpayer Compliance Divisions TC I and TC-SSEW.
The Taxpayer Compliance Income Division is responsible for maximizing taxpayer compliance by defining and implementing procedures for income tax returns and refunds including the individual, corporate, franchise, fiduciary and composite partnership income taxes. This includes performance of examinations of returns and supporting documentation to verify compliance with tax laws prior to the issuance of any bill or refund, the adjustment of returns and taxpayer accounts and the approval or denial of refunds.
The Taxpayer Compliance Severance, Excise and Withholding Division is responsible for receiving, verifying and paying claims for refund submitted by taxpayers of the state. This division is responsible for refunds and audits related to excise, sales and us taxes, severance taxes and withholding taxes. The Division is also responsible for the performance of post-processing audit functions for sales, excise, severance and withholding taxes.
- This position is responsible for approving (or denying) tax refunds and for reviewing, researching and resolving complex errors and compliance issues on tax returns.
- The incumbent makes independent decisions concerning filing requirements, determines if the taxpayer has provided adequate documentation in order to verify compliance issues, and makes appropriate adjustments to taxpayer accounts.
- The incumbent communicates with taxpayers, tax preparers, CPA's, officers of corporations and attorneys to explain compliance issues and adjustments
- A strong knowledge of the Louisianan tax laws, departmental procedures, and policy guidance and computer systems is necessary to be efficient in the position.
- The incumbent should possess good interpretational, analytical, communication, listening and interpersonal skills.
This position may be filled as either a Probational or a Job Appointment (open to all qualified applicants); a Promotion (open to all statewide classified and Agency wide permanent status employees); or by Detail to Special Duty. Current permanent status, classified employees may be required to accept a Probational appointed if selected. If filled as a Job Appointment, there is a possibility that this position may be converted to a Probational Appointment should funding become available.
This position will be domiciled in East Baton Rouge Parish. Applicants must select this parish on their application to indicate that they are available to work in the parish of this vacancy.
As part of a Career Progression Group, vacancies may be filled from this recruitment as a (Revenue Tax Specialist 1 or 2) depending on the level of experience of the selected applicant(s). Please refer to the 'Job Specifications' tab located at the top of the LA Careers 'Current Job Opportunities' page of the Civil Service website for specific information on salary ranges, minimum qualifications and job concepts for each level.
*This posting may be used to fill vacancies in other divisions or units in the Department of Revenue within 90 days of closing. .
A Tax and Natural Disaster Clearance will be conducted on all selected applicants to validate the timely submission of tax returns and payments. It is a requirement that all Revenue employees must adhere to all tax laws of the State of Louisiana.
LA R.S.15:587.5, 587.6 and the IRS require the Louisiana Department of Revenue to conduct a criminal history records check of a prospective employee who will access federal tax information to perform job duties. Any applicant who receives and accepts a conditional offer of employment will require a completed criminal history records check prior to his or her first day of work.
Applications will be rejected if the applicant fails to meet the minimum qualifications, submits an incomplete application or fails to apply by the closing date of the announcement. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application listing complete work experience and education.
Applicants qualifying based on college training or receipt of a baccalaureate degree will be required to submit an official college transcript to verify credentials claimed prior to appointment Applicants must attach a copy of college transcripts to this application. Failure to do so will result in not being considered for this vacancy. The transcripts should be added as an attachment to your online application. The selected candidate will be required to submit original documentation upon hire.
If you are applying for a position which requires a baccalaureate and/or master's degree you may apply 90 days prior to receipt of your degree however the effective date of the appointment cannot be prior to your graduation date. Please contact the HR representative listed below to ensure that your application is accepted as eligible.
Applicants are encouraged to click on the "Apply" link above and complete an electronic application.
No Civil Service test score is required in order to be considered for this vacancy.
To apply for this vacancy, click on the "Apply" link above and complete an electronic application, which can be used for this vacancy as well as future job opportunities. Applicants are responsible for checking the status of their application to determine where they are in the recruitment process. Further status message information is located under the Information section of the Current Job Opportunities page.
"Louisiana is a State as a Model Employer for People with Disabilities"
For further information about this vacancy contact:
Human Resources Analyst
Louisiana Department of Revenue
P.O. Box 66378
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
LA Department of Revenue is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:A baccalaureate degree with twelve semester hours in accounting.SUBSTITUTIONS (FOR THE BACCALAUREATE DEGREE ONLY):Six years of full-time work experience in any field may be substituted for the required baccalaureate degree.Candidates without a baccalaureate degree may combine work experience and college credit to substitute for the baccalaureate degree as follows:A maximum of 120 semester hours may be combined with experience to substitute for the baccalaureate degree.30 to 59 semester hours credit will substitute for one year of experience towards the baccalaureate degree.60 to 89 semester hours credit will substitute for two years of experience towards the baccalaureate degree.90 to 119 semester hours credit will substitute for three years of experience towards the baccalaureate degree.120 or more semester hours credit will substitute for four years of experience towards the baccalaureate degree.College credit earned without obtaining a baccalaureate degree may be substituted for a maximum of four years full-time work experience towards the baccalaureate degree. Candidates with 120 or more semester hours of credit, but without a degree, must also have at least two years of full-time work experience to substitute for the baccalaureate degree.NOTES:There can be no substitution for the required semester hours in accounting.NOTE:
Any college hours or degree must be from a school accredited by one of the following regional accrediting bodies: the Middle States Commission on Higher Education; the New England Commission of Higher Education; the Higher Learning Commission; the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities; the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools; and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
- Job Concepts
Function of Work:
To perform in-house audits of tax returns, including individual income, sales, excise, corporate/business, severance, inheritance, hotel/motel, motor vehicle, bankruptcy, etc.
Level of Work:
Close from Revenue Tax Specialist Supervisor or higher-level personnel.
Location of Work:
Department of Revenue.
Differs from Revenue Tax Officers by the presence of professional level responsibility for the in-house auditing of various tax returns.
Differs from Revenue Tax Specialist 2 by the absence of experienced-level duties.
- Examples of Work
Audits filed tax returns and supporting documentation to ensure compliance with applicable State laws, based on the specific tax being audited.
Calculates penalty and interest as necessary, and makes appropriate adjustments to taxpayers' accounts.
Reviews applications for credits, exemptions, lower tax rates, and/or penalty waivers; determines eligibility and issues authorizations for such.
Issues bills, warrants, and/or liens in order to collect taxes owed; releases such measures once taxes are collected.
Confirms refund amounts, processes and issues refunds through computer tax system.
Research and resolves discrepancies regarding such issues as incorrect taxpayer address, bank errors, returned refunds, etc; reissues refund checks as needed.