Louisiana Legislative Auditor
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Louisiana Legislative Auditor
Are you interested in improving state government? Are you naturally inquisitive and enjoy learning? The LLA is seeking inquisitive and adaptable individuals with strong critical thinking and communication skills from a variety of educational backgrounds who are passionate about improving Louisiana.
Performance auditors develop audit objectives to address important issues affecting Louisiana government, such as program effectiveness and efficiency, as well as compliance with state laws and regulations. Interns work as part of a diverse team to gain an understanding of government programs and processes, interview agency staff, research best practices, and analyze datasets to evaluate how well a program is functioning. Interns will create accurate, well-documented working papers and draw overall conclusions based on collected evidence. Teams then draft clear and concise reports, outlining issues identified and make meaningful recommendations for program improvement.
Our paid internship lasts one semester term, with the possibility of renewal. Interns should be available to work 20 to 30 hours per week.
Ideal candidates are flexible to changing audits and teams, creatively and critically approach audit questions, and communicate clearly in writing and orally. Audit teams and topics change regularly, so ideal candidates should also be adaptable to changing environments and enjoy learning about a variety of topics. Candidates should also be able to think about issues analytically and creatively to evaluate programs and generate conclusions.
Examples of Work
- Helps formulate audit questions and topics that address issues that are important to the legislature.
- Develops a general understanding of government, the legislative process, and current governmental issues.
- Gathers, reviews, and documents general agency information to obtain an understanding of the audited agency’s role and responsibilities, budget and staffing resources, and organizational structure.
- Collects and analyzes data to measure program impact, effectiveness, and efficiency, as well as compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Prepares accurate and complete working papers documenting the results of assigned audit tasks.
- Develops proficiency in the most commonly used performance audit software.
- Assists in the preparation of audit reports.
- Develops an understanding of and complies with generally accepted auditing standards.
- Develops proficiency in oral and written communications.
- May assist in certain other tasks assigned such as preparing and presenting training, maintaining audit manuals, and completing other projects as required.
A baccalaureate degree in any discipline is required.
A baccalaureate degree and working towards one of the following:
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university in such fields as accounting, business administration, communications, computer science, economics, finance, government, law, management, political science, public administration, psychology, sociology, and other qualitative or quantitative analysis and research fields.
2. Certification as a certified public accountant or certification as a certified internal auditor.
Please upload the following:
- your resume
- a cover letter describing why you would like to work as a performance auditor and how your education and experience make you a good fit for the position
- college transcripts