The Carlisle Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
UNDERWRITER, Baton Rouge, LA
at The Carlisle Group
This growing company is seeking a talented commercial lines underwriter to grow and develop with them as they continue to grow. They have a lot of markets to place your risk and a lot of support to help you develop your book.
Review insurance applications to evaluate, classify, and rate each risk to determine acceptability, coverage, and pricing by performing the following duties. Achieve and sustain business results that meet or exceed established goals for premium production, retained income, and underwriting profit.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Examines documents such as application forms, inspection reports, MVRs, claims history, financial reports, endorsements and any other pertinent information to determine degree of risk, underwriting, and appropriate market.
- Accepts, prices, and binds insurance within underwriting authority, refers business to company underwriter or brokers beyond authority.
- Prepares submissions; markets and negotiates with insurance companies on individual accounts.
- Has direct knowledge of job skills in the technical support position, including a clear understanding of the AIM processing
- system, cancellations, policy change requests and rating-related issues; rating, and overall flow of transactions within the office.
- Communicates orally and by correspondence with retail customers and underwriters to obtain further information, quote rates, present proposals, introduce products, or service existing accounts.
- Cultivates relationships with prospective and existing customers through agency visits, occasional lunches and dinners with visiting agents, and attendance at company-sponsored events.
- Provides complete policy issuance instructions to support staff, detailing all coverage terms and conditions.
- Demonstrates a strong customer focus through understanding customer needs and expectations; implements Company’s service standards.
- Assists with various projects as requested by management.
- Pursues technical development to maintain or enhance knowledge, skills, and abilities required for job.
- Willingness and ability
(with training) to work on the surplus lines tax reports.
- Must also be a team player by performing such tasks as answering phones and in general, do anything that is needed in order to further the cause of the company.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition.
- Cost Consciousness - Contributes to profits and revenue.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree
- Prefer college degree or five years of related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.